Emily Skop, PhD
Areas of Interest
- International Migration Patterns and Processes
- Urbanization, Spatial Segregation, and Inequality
- Race, Ethnicity, and Place
- Broadening Participation in Higher Education
- PhD, Geography, Arizona State University, 2002
- MA, Geography, Arizona State University, 1997
- BA, Geography, University of Miami, 1995
- GES 1980 World Regional Geography
- GES 1990 Intro to Human Geography
- GES 4460/5460 Field Studies: Silverton, Colorado
- GES 4620/5620 Race, Ethnicity, and Place
- GES 4630/5630 Inequality USA
- GES 4640/5640 MegaCities
- GES 4730/5730 Population Geography
- GES 4780/5780 Global Migration
Founding Director of the UCCS Global Intercultural Research Center (Glint)
- Gibbes, Cerian and Emily Skop. 2020. The messiness of co-produced research with gatekeepers of resettled refugee communities. Journal of Cultural Geography.
- Skop, Emily and Karen Culcasi, guest editors. 2019. Special Issue: Bordering Practices, Local Resistance and the Global Refugee “Crisis.” Geographical Review 109 (4).
- Karen Culcasi, Emily Skop, and Cynthia Gorman. 2019. Contemporary Refugee-Border Dynamics and the Legacies of the 1919 Paris Peace Conference. Geographical Review 109(4): 469-486.
- Skop, Emily, Joel Tonyan, and Arielle Cassiday. 2019. Considering Refugees through 100 Years of Geographical Review. Geographical Review. 109(4): 598-614.
- Morken, Adriana and Emily Skop. 2017. Connecting Refugees in a NonTraditional Resettlement Destination. Papers in Applied Geography 3(3-4): 322-338.
- Brandon Vogt and Emily Skop. 2017. The Silverton Field Experience: A Model Geography Course for Achieving High-Impact Educational Practices (HEPs). Journal of Geography in Higher Education 41(4): 574-589.
- Adriana Morken and Emily Skop. 2017. Connecting Refugees in a Non-Traditional Resettlement Destination. Papers in Applied Geography (online version).
- Skop, Emily. 2017. Asian Indians in Phoenix Arizona: Negotiating the "Model Minority" Myth in an Anti-Immigrant Climate. GeoJournal 82(3): 553-566.
- Li, Wei, Emily Skop and Wan Yu. 2016. Enclaves, Ethnoburbs, and New Patterns of Settlement among Asian Immigrants. Book Chapter in Contemporary Asian America: A Multidisciplinary Reader, Third Edition, edited by Min Zhou and James V. Gatewood. New York: New York University Press, 193-213.
- Skop, Emily. 2015. Conceptualizing Scale in the Science of Broadening Participation of Underrepresented Groups in Higher Education. The Professional Geographer 67(3): 427-437.
- Skop, Emily. 2014. Understanding Ethnicity and Inequality through Fieldtrip Projects. Book Chapter in Teaching Ethnic Geography in the 21st Century, edited by Lawrence E. Estaville, Edris J. Montalvo, and Fenda A. Akiwumi. Washington, D.C.: National Council for Geographic Education, 94-100.
- Skop, Emily. 2013. Thirdspace as Transnational Space. Book Chapter in Indian Transnationalism Online: Ethnographic Explorations edited by Hans de Kruijf and Ajaya Sahoo. Ashgate Publishing.
- Skop, Emily. 2012. The Immigration and Settlement of Asian Indians in Phoenix, Arizona 1965-2011: Ethnic Pride vs. Racial Discrimination in the Suburbs. New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Leadership Fellow, University of Colorado System, Fall 2019 - Spring 2020.
- Distinguished Scholar Award in Ethnic Geography, Ethnic Geography Specialty Group, American Association of Geographers, April 2018.
- UCCS Faculty Award for Outstanding Contribution to Diversity and Inclusiveness, Spring 2017.