John Harner, PhD
John Harner, PhD
Professor of Geography
Columbine Hall 2013
Areas of Interest
- Creating Place
- U.S.- Mexico Connections and Integration
- The American Urban Landscape
- Ph.D, Geography, Arizona State University, 1996
- MA, Geography, Arizona State University, 1993
- BS, Geography, The Pennsylvania State University, 1986
- Geography of Food
- Geography of the Pikes Peak Region
- Urban Geography
- Field Studies in Mexico and Central America
- Geography of Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean
- The Cultural Landscape
- Introduction to Human Geography
- Introduction to GIS
- Harner, John. 2021. Profiting from the Peak: Landscape and Liberty in Colorado Springs. Louisville, CO: University Press of Colorado.
- Harner, John. 2020. Who Defines Sustainability? Shopping for ‘Reality’ in Colorado Springs, pp. 117-130 in Case Studies in Suburban Sustainability, B. Brinkmann and S. Garren, eds. Gainesville, FL: University of Florida Press.
- Harner, John, Edith Jiménez, and Heriberto Cruz Solís. 2018. Housing and Urban Growth in Guadalajara, Mexico, pp. 105-133 in Dialogues in Urban Planning 6: The Right to the City, C. Silver, R. Freestone, and C. Demaziere, eds. New York: Routledge
- Harner, John, Lee Cerveny, and Rebecca Gronewold. 2017. Participatory Mapping in Browns Canyon National Monument, Colorado (USA). Case Studies in the Environment: cseucpress.edu.
- Harner, John, Kevin Knapp, and Leah Davis-Witherow. 2017. "The Story of Us": Place-Making through Public Interaction with Digital Geo-Humanities in Colorado Springs. International Journal for Humanities and Arts Computing 11(1):110-126.
Honors and Awards
- 2021 J.B. Jackson Award from the American Association of Geographers for Profiting from the Peak: Landscape and Liberty in Colorado Springs. This award recognizes books about the United States which convey the insights of professional geography in language that is interesting and attractive to a lay audience.
- University of Colorado Thomas Jefferson Award, 2018
- Fulbright Scholar, Guadalajara, Mexico, 2005
- Innovations in Teaching with Technology Award, UCCS, 2002
Volunteer and Service
- Chair, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, 2009 - 2015
- Board of Directors, Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, 2019 - 2025